A few weeks ago I conducted a seminar art class with Senior citizens at Access Care in Louisville, KY. After explaining the concept of collaborative art, two tables were set up with three sheets of paper. One group of grandmas and grandpas quickly proceed to put as much on the sheet of paper as possible, it was nice to see how enthusiastic they were, but after about 30 minutes their patience ran out and only a few people would come and go to add to the piece.
Another sheet of paper was attended to by another group of seniors who needed more motivation and assistance. This was the group that was willing to try out drawing something but did not feel confident about the choices they made. The third sheet of paper was started by a gentleman who used to be an architect and has an artistic background. Most other members of the class refused to contribute there as they were afraid to ruin his work. Overall, the event was a success because it was fun. What I learned from this was that if the project is limited by a short time frame it is better to have a much smaller paper size, this way the participants will cover more space on the page.
Last week I spent painting a mural for Xclusive Professional Auto Detailing in Louisville. The owner of Xclusive called me and asked if I could paint a mural on the wall of what was to be a future showroom for cars. I made a couple sketches, looked over some photos and eventually we agreed on a design and I started the painting. This was by far the largest painting I had ever done roughly 16' x 24'.
When standing next to the wall it was impossible to make a straight line because I couldn't see what I was doing at that scale. So I ended up using a projector which I had purchased for this purpose. I projected Photoshop onto the wall and then drew on my tablet computer while the projector superimposed that image in the blank wall. Next I went and outlined my drawing on the wall using paint. After having the layout in place I proceeded to fill in the major areas of the painting with major colors which I would further adjust later when I went in with the details. One of the challenges of working at this scale was mixing colors. Even though I would mix plenty of paint for painting the sky, I would still run out and then it was difficult matching that same color. Further more mixing directly on the wall was- also not a very good method for the same reason. So I learned that the best method was to premix all the colors beforehand in large quantities and then go in with paint as if in a color by number fashion. The walls already had graffiti on them when I started the project so I had to incorporate the painting of the Louisville cityscape with the graffiti so I painted some splashes of paint around it. After all the major work- on the mural was finished I put the company logo in the sky with the use of a projector.